October 3, 2010

Domestic Violence Awareness Month

I can hardly believe it's been almost 2 years since I picked up my children and left my violent and abusive husband. God has been wonderful and amazingly good to us. I still can't believe how far he has brought us in such a relatively short time. I shudder at the thought of where we would be right now or what we could have gone through without His positioning us for every good thing he's given us. I thank Him everyday!

Unfortunately, there are so many women out there that are still suffering in their situations. There are children that are still witnessing the awful horror of violence in their home. There are men that carry their heads low, ashamed to admit to anyone that they are victims of abuse.

October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Please use this time to try and raise your sensitivity level and awareness of those around you that may be silent victims. If you haven't been a victim of abuse directly, then you probably know someone who has. I lost a cousin at the hands of her violent boyfriend. A close friend of mine lost a co-worker and friend to a violent husband.

It is so easy to judge another person when you haven't walked in their shoes or don't understand their choices. But understand this: ANYONE can become a victim. Young and old, rich and poor, celebrity and unknown, high school dropout and PhD. There are more victims than we ever can really know, because so many of us live in silence about it. We feel alone and we feel ashamed. We hide the bruises and smile when we need to.

If you can, donate your time, used items or money to a domestic violence organization so that they can give it to those in shelter. Having to pick up and leave with sometimes only the clothing on your back and little to no money, leaves those in shelter with a need for so much in order to just have basics.

I will be re-posting some of my previous posts in which I talk about the abuse that I lived with for 10 years. I am a survivor. My children are survivors. God is healing us, but it is going to take some time, the wounds are deep. But we're gonna make it, overcome it and have a victorious and glorious testimony because of it. I love how God can take anything and turn it around for our good and the good of others.

Pray for those in danger. Pray for the babies living in fear. Pray for those who are looking for a way of escape. Pray for the abusers too. Pray for God to deal with them as only He can.